“After completing the HTY residency, the students had more confidence and respect for others presenting/performing in front of the class. Students were also more aware of their emotions and the emotions of others and how their reactions/actions had an impact on others around them.”
Drama/Theatre Residencies in Your Classroom
For any classroom with any students
IMAGINE. CREATE. EXPLORE.
“My key insight from today is that the art lies in creative choice, and that creative choice allows students to express their understanding of the meaning. When I give my students creative choice, I am not only opening the door for deeper understanding, but I am also allowing the student to go farther than they thought they could. Creative choice with clear goals and expectations, along with the why and purpose is the perfect recipe for student success.”
– Classroom teacher, Honolulu
HTY teaching artists conduct active, hands-on, creative learning experiences that engage students’ imaginations while directly addressing local and national standards and core curriculum. The teaching artist staff work directly with teachers to help extend student achievement in a range of subjects, from language arts to social studies to science in ways that significantly involve and engage every student.
What are the benefits?
- Complements direct instruction with kinesthetic learning, especially powerful with reluctant or challenged learners and engaging for all students to get more excited about learning
- Practices and builds essential life skills: self-expression, self-confidence, risk-taking, critical thinking, problem-solving, collaboration, and communication.
- Increases cooperative skills as students work together to common goals
- Connects directly with a wide range of standards and benchmarks, both Common Core and HCPSIII
Students take active roles in their own learning while developing an appreciation for the performing arts. Over one hundred thousand Hawai’i students from Pre-K through high school have benefited from HTY in-school residencies, getting excited about exploring ideas, debating key questions and learning in active and enjoyable ways.
We design residencies to fit your needs and classroom curriculum and are an approved vendor of the Hawaii State DOE.